𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗦𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗟𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧: 𝗩𝗜𝗡𝗖𝗘 𝗠𝗔𝗥𝗜𝗔𝗡𝗢'𝗦 𝗥𝗢𝗔𝗗 𝗧𝗢 𝗧𝗥𝗜𝗨𝗠𝗣𝗛
For Vince Dendrick S. Mariano, a second-year Bachelor of Science in Hotel Management student, his experience as a qualifier in the Philippine Eskrima Kali Arnis Federation (PEKAF) Visayas Tournament was more than just a competition, it was a testament to his hard work and determination. Held from November 28-30, 2025, at the Bacolod City College Activity Center, the competition pushed Vince to confront personal struggles, testing his mental and physical endurance.
Through it all, Vince not only overcame his challenges but proved to himself that he truly belonged on the national stage. His journey wasn’t about the medal or the accolades, but about proving his inner strength and tenacity.
THE CHAMPION WHO PREPARED WITH PURPOSE
Unlike many athletes who celebrate every trophy, Vince understands that the value of a victory depends on the work behind it. When asked how it felt to become a PEKAF Visayas champion, he answered:
“It depends on how much work I've put into that goal. I took part in a couple of competitions and I don't feel that good and accomplished when I win, despite not preparing, compared to when I prepare a lot.”
For Vince, the true win is the effort and not just the medal. The competition taught him that success feels different when it is earned with full heart and discipline.
THE QUIET FIGHT AGAINST HIMSELF
Many champions rise after losing to strong opponents. But Vince’s greatest challenge was internal.
When asked if he ever experienced failure before this win, he shared a vulnerable truth:
“Actually no. The only failure I have is with myself, the battle between me and my mental health.”
There were moments of weakness and self-doubt. But he continued:
“I did good considering the downfall that I have to get right back on the path.”
These words show a fighter who understands that some battles are invisible and winning them requires a different kind of strength.
THE DOUBTS THAT PUSHED HIM FORWARD
Every journey needs a spark. For Vince, motivation did not come from applause or praise, but from the people who believed he could not succeed.
When asked what kept him going, he answered,
“People who doubt that I couldn't do it and I couldn't, make it to the nationals.”
Their disbelief became his fuel. Instead of bringing him down, it pushed him forward to being more stronger and more determined to prove himself.
Vince's story is of someone who faced his own fears — someone who challenged the limits he set for himself, and learned that real victory begins within. His victory reminds us that success is not defined by how loud the applause is, but by how deeply a person commits to their goals.
To every student, athlete, or dreamer facing silent struggles, Vince’s story is a reminder that you do not have to be unbroken to win. You just need to rise every time you fall, believe when others don’t, and keep walking toward the goal only you can see.
And sometimes, that is how champions are made.
✍🏻: Trisha Doroteo, Junior Staff Writer
🖼️: Dale Victoria, Junior Lay-out Artist
Comments
Post a Comment